Wednesday 3 August 2011

FIRST PINKIES IN THE NEW BIRD ROOM- update

Up to EIGHT babies today. Four from nest #2 and four from nest #16. Aged from 5 days to 12 hours old. I have given the four eldest chicks to foster nest #15, they have infertile eggs.
Nest #2. Chick at the back is an ino hen(red eye), dad is split albino. Two more eggs due 5th and the 7th July.
 Nest #16. Out of eight eggs, four have hatched, all plum eyed cinnamon's. Looks like the four remaining eggs are fertile and should be due to hatch 5th,7th,9th and the 11th if all goes well.
Nest #15(fosters). Here are the four eldest chicks from nest #2 and #16.

My reason for fostering these chicks is once they start to move around they are likely to idle the remaining eggs and therefore they are unlikely to hatch. That's my theory anyway. I have tried this method previously with good results. 100% of fertile eggs hatch. If I had more nests available for fostering, I would leave only the youngest chick in each nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment