Tuesday 9 August 2011

Baby update

Up to baby number twelve. I'm very excited and disappointed at the same time because it's fantastic that I have twelve little healthy miracles but I'm disappointed that they come from the two pairs that were meant to be fosters for the other 15 'better' pairs.
Nest #2- Two bubs because they are both maiden and I didn't want to overload them. Not the best picture sorry. You can see in the top ones crop that they got silverbeet from my garden today. It was all munched up within minutes.
Pair # 8- Two fosters with this pair. Beautiful fallow hen lay 8 eggs with her split fallow mate,all eggs no good, unfortunately.
 Pair #15- The five eldest out of the twelve chicks. This hen laid eight eggs and none of them were fertile. She is doing great with this bunch of foster chicks.

Nest #16- Three chicks.Smallest one is under the bigger two. Two eggs left to hatch (fingers crossed).


Good news on the fallow front.  THREE FERTILE EGGS!!!(so far) Still not great because I should have some little red eyes in the nest now. Five pairs of fallow-split fallow, 30+ eggs 3 fertile. Two of my cocks are 6 years old this year, and one of them filled every egg last year so I'm hoping it is just down to bad timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment