Wednesday 6 July 2011

Some of my Fallow and split Fallow babies 2011

Onto round two and managed to get two fallows and one sky blue split. One grey green split in another nest. I rarely name my birds but for the sake of this blog, I will. This photo Hilda 7days, Joop 5 days and Hans 1 day old. I'd like to note first round chick had french moult, second round chicks NO FRENCH MOULT.
I noticed on the eldest chick some signs of feather plucking. I don't know whether it was mum or dad. I tried most tricks to try to stop this behavior, to no avail. I kept a close eye and noticed that it continued past plucking of the down so at two -three weeks, all chicks were fostered to other nests with similar aged chicks . I named this pair the 'Mother Plucker's'.
So with chicks in new nests and going well, growing quick etc, the 'Mother Plucker's' are rested for a few weeks before being put into aviary.
Below:  Joop 8 days old and Hans 6 days old.

Below: Hilda 15 days old.
 
Hilda with plucked back.

 Hilda 18 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment