Friday 15 July 2011

THE NEW BIRD ROOM

I very happy and pleased to say that my new bird room is now completed. I'm so excited to be able to start my 2011/2012 breeding season in a nice new breeding room. Here's where it began. Half a meter of packing sand on top of half a meter of crushed rock and 400 pre-loved sandstone pavers bought off eBay.


 The shed was given to us from some relatives that didn't want it anymore. Thank you Katherine and Stan. Its a 3x 3 meter zincalum shed.


Not in too bad shape, just a few gaps at the base but easily blocked with wood and cement. I filled all gaps along the sides and roof with fine steel wool and silicone. The two most important things to consider when building my bird room were to make sure it was 100% mouse/ rodent proof and 100% weather proof.

Timber was lay at floor level, secured and then a cement mix was used to fill all gaps.

The window was another eBay bargain, cost a total $5.00. It has two sliding windows with fly screens to maximize air flow in the warmer months. So with the window in, now the timber framework goes up.

We used wool/glass batts R1.5 and Masonite boards for the walls.

Melamine sheets were used to make the shelves.  We used recycled doors for the shelf at floor level. The aim was to make the room easy to keep clean and not take too much time to clean either. The breeding room is set up to hold 44 cages.

I prefer the cage system over cabinets. Number one reason, easier to keep clean. Also they are light and easy to move if need be, allow maximum light and airflow through each cage. Birds seem to be more stimulated to breed also with the noise and sight of other birds. They aren't overly expensive either, $30 each. I bought my cages here: Petsmania online shop

We have a simple wire door which I can leave open all day for fresh air and light. At night I close the shed door to stop drafts and rodents. There is a full power supply. Fluorescent lights are on a timer, on at 7am and off at 9pm, then a sensor night light comes on. I also have the radio on 24/7.  We have attached an outside pull down awning blind for the window, it will stop the hot sun coming in in summer and added protection from the frosts in winter.

  On Saturday 2nd of July I set up 7 pairs all of which now have eggs, 2 pairs have 3 eggs each some showing fertile. So the birds are happy with the new set up also. 7 more pair set up on the 13th July which makes a total of 14pairs. I have 3 more nest boxes so I'll be filling them over the nest few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment